Probably the most enjoyable part about planning is gathering information and getting inspired. The more you find out the bigger your anticipation. Your motivation will raise aswell. It’s also an important thing to do, since you might find your new dream destination. Here are some ways to get inspired/informed.
There are some movies that leave you with a burning urge to get out and discover the world. Whenever I felt exhausted, or poorly motivated to work my to-do list, those cheered me up.
- 7 Years in Tibet: My personal favourite, I watched it several times already. It’s a real story about a mountain climber who got captured and sent to prison camp in China, during world war 2. He ends up escaping with another man, sneaking into Lhasa, Tibet´s capital. There they find the young Dalai Lama and a new home for the coming years. The movie shows how travelling can transform your life aswell as stunning recordings of the Himalayas. The Dalai Lama quotes are worth to be mentioned aswell.
- Into the Wild: This movie is about Cristopher McCandless. Beeing a top student and athlete he gives away his entire savings and possessions after graduating, to pursue his dream of living in the wilderness. Along the way he meets different characters that shape him. The movie makes one think about what is really important in life. I really enjoyed to see his point of view.
- Wild: After a heroin addiction, the death of her mother and countless years of drifting around without aim, Cheryl makes a bold decision. Without any experience she packs up and walks the Pacific Crest Trail for 1100 miles and 3 months to find back to herself. “Losing toenails but gaining mental clarity”.
- The Bucket List: Two strangers, both diagnosed with cancer, get billeted in the same hospital room. Even though they are very different, they start to become friends. When they hear that they have only 6-12 months left to live they create a bucket list together. A heart warming movie that will inspire you to do all the things you dream of.
- A map for saturday: A documentary that shows the travel life of a man who quit his job to travel the world for a year. You will see the ups and downs on a very personal level and probably realize that everybody can travel, the only thing that stops you is yourself.
- Some more: The first 5 are the most remarkable for me but here are some more in case you are through and still hungry. The Beach, Eat Pray Love, Tracks, The Art of Travel, The Way Back….
- Blogs: There are countless travel blogs in the internet. All you need to do is search Google for “Must sees in country X” or “Travelling in country X”
- Documentarys: This one is more for the nature fans. Discovery Channel has loads of awesome documentaries, showing amazing footage. “Man vs. Wild” with Bear Grylls for example.
- Couchsurfing events: You will always meet a lot of travellers there and might hear about your next dream destination.
Don’t hesitate or allow yourself to make excuses. Just get out and do it. You will be very, very glad that you did.
-Into the Wild
As always you are very welcome to leave additions/suggestions/opinions in the comments!
Previous: Duration of the trip
Next: Overview Asia