This series of posts is dedicated to those who don’t really know where to go. Maybe you’ll find something you want to see and didn’t think about yet. I want to provide some short facts here. You may want to google bold marked words in order to get some images. There is much more to see but you should get an idea of the regions.
- Most people either hate or love the United States of America. There are many famous and beautifull sights but the mainstream and fast food culture is not for everyone. You won’t find a rich culture with a lot of rites when you travel the States.
- Very easy to travel. You won’t miss anything if you are coming from Europe, (whether this is a good thing or not is for you to decide) except some real bread and water.
- Rather expensive to travel (especially in bigger cities).
- Safe to travel, except in bigger cities (especially at night).
- City highlights: New York City with the Statue of Liberty and countless of museums, parks and a stunning skyline, San Francisco with the Golden Gate Bridge, Las Vegas the city of gambling and luxuriant hotels, the National Mall, Washington´s center of cultural and political life, Los Angeles with Hollywood.
- Natural highlights: Grand Canyon, Route 66 and the Pacific Coast Highway for everybody planning a road trip, Yosemite National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Sequoia National Park my personal favourite from those I have seen so far, the trees left me speechless, Everglades National Park, The Wave hard to reach since visits are restricted but definitly worth the hike there, Death Valley.
- Others: Walt Disney World, Universal Studios
- Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, Peru, Ecuador, Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyanas.
- South America is known for tropical dream beaches, lively port citys, colorful festivals, green rainforests and ancient traditions. Unfortunately also for poverty.
- Harder to travel since locals´s english is usually not very good. Also transportation is not always easy or atleast not comparable to other countrie´s standards.
- Cheap to travel (Except Brazil and Chile, Argentina is also more expensive).
- Due to poverty and drug problems in some areas, South America is not the safest area to travel.
- Highlights: The Andes the longest continental mountain range in the world, the Altiplano plateau (Bolivia) with lake Titicaca and Salar de Uyuni, Laguna Colorado (Bolivia), Galápagos islands (Ecuador), Santuario de las Lajas (Colombia), the river of five colors (Colombia), Torres del Paine nationalpark (Chile), Hand of the Desert in the Atacama desert (Chile), the famous Iguazú Falls (Argentina), Buenos Aires (Argentina), the ancient inka citadel Machu Picchu probably the most popular sight in South America and on my bucket list aswell (Peru), Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Angel Falls (Venezuela).
- Others: Carnival in Rio de Janeiro
Mexico and Central America
- Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama
- Tequila, Gringos, Viva Mexico!, Sombreros, more Tequila! (Please don’t hate me, I had to)
- Similar travel conditions to South America.
- Highlights: Copper Canyons (Mexico), Ik-Kil Cenote (Mexico) there are many cenotes in this area, this one is rather popular and crowded, but still very beautifull, Tikal National Park (Guatemala) where you can find ruins of the Maya, Pacaya Volcano (Guatemala), Copan (Honduras) ruins of the Maya, the Great Blue Hole (Belize).
- Others: Dia de los muertos
As always you are very welcome to leave additions/suggestions/opinions in the comments!
Previous: Overview Asia
Next: Overview Oceania